Perhaps this post is a little hypocritical seeing as a previous blog was about using a Twitter-inspired board in the classroom, but bear with me... (My other post talked more about what students could share using a Twitter-like forum, this is more about what a classroom could take in from Twitter.)
I just don't "get" the whole Twitter thing. I avoided it for the longest time, but one day got curious enough to set up my own account. After exploring for a while...I still didn't get it. In fact, just a few days ago, I deleted my account.
In several ICT classes, the idea of using Twitter in the classroom has been mentioned. I even saw it mentioned in a newspaper yesterday - an award winning teacher that incorporates Twitter. With my experience, however, I couldn't really understand how one could use Twitter in the classroom in a meaningful way.
I decided to do a little research. So, I Googled "using twitter in the classroom". The first result: http://www.teachhub.com/50-ways-use-twitter-classroom --> a list of 50 ways to use Twitter in the classroom. I feel as though many of these ideas seem as though they are using Twitter just for the sake of using Twitter.
I like the idea of using Twitter to share information between members of a class (i.e. assignment info/due dates, collaboration on projects, posting of articles/videos relevant to lesson topics) as well as using it as a way to connect classrooms across the hall or across the world. However, I still don't quite understand how students might be expected to gather much information from Twitter beyond basic ideas. To find in depth information, students would need to be directed to other websites anyways. (E.g. students might find news headlines, but that doesn't tell them the full story...students might find quotes...but there is no context)
Maybe I just don't understand Twitter and maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I just don't see how it can be used in a truly meaningful way that won't distract from the point of a lesson. If someone has any good ideas, I would love to hear them. I want to like Twitter, I really do! But right now...I just don't get it.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletea few typos - try that again:-)
ReplyDeleteBefore - and for awhile after I started, I also questioned the value of twitter. It does take time to get to know & see the true value. It does, however, really depend on what you want from it - to see the value, you really need to get involved, follow the 'right' people - and even some wrong ones! Even if it is not used in a classroom, it is a source of ideas. resources, and conversations about teaching. A way to share & connect. That said - the tech we use is personal, twitter is not for everyone, you have to find what works for you.