Okay, so after a little push from a professor, I have re-activated my (previously mentioned) Twitter profile. As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I used to have a Twitter account, but deactivated it because I couldn't seem to find a practical use for it. I just didn't "get" it. However, I am currently involved in a group project about using social media in education, so I am back.
In doing some research for this project, Twitter kept coming up over and over again. Obviously I am missing something if that many people find it useful and meaningful... One website/presentation I looked at (http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=856919732755217570#editor/target=post;postID=3924918296399476507) suggested a Twitter-Test-Drive:
Step 1: Follow Dr. Joseph Pisano's list of music educators.....DONE
Step 2: Search the hashtags: #musedchat #musiced #mused #artsed.....DONE
I Have to admit, I've already stumbled on some pretty interesting things...
Here's one of the first neat things I found:
http://www.lessonlogs.com
On this website, you can create an account to keep track of all your students' lessons/lesson notes/practice. You can make a list of all the students in your studio/class and make lesson schedules. During/after lessons, you can make notes for the students. Students have their own account which allows them to see the notes you've made for them. Also (and I think this is the cool part amidst all the talk of practice records in my classes) students are able to track their practice with start/end times, notes about what they practiced, and a self-given rating for the practice session. The website tracks practice stats with graphs. I see this working better for private teachers, but you might be able to make it work in a larger setting too...I'd have to play with it more before I can say for sure. I might have to try this out with a few of my own students...
Perhaps I was too quick to discredit Twitter...
Now I guess I just wait and see what else shows up in my feed over the next few days!
If you're not already on Twitter, I encourage readers to try the Twitter-Test-Drive for themselves and see what they discover. Stay tuned for my findings!
Hurray! Welcome back, glad you are giving it another shot
ReplyDelete